This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Five reasons to pick a theme for your next blogathon


Now that the 2011 WordCount Blogathon is over -- as of today, I blogged for 31 days straight -- it's time to reflect on what I learned. Since I chose a theme to help me get through all 31 days, I thought I'd share with you why that's a good idea -- and why you may want to try this next year:

1)  It will give you a head start with the question: What should I write about?

2)  It will provide an instant list of sub-topics.

3)  It will help you find focus or explore an idea more thoroughly.  

4)  It will help you build momentum with a continuous thread of common thoughts.
5)  It will give your readers a reason to return. They will want to know: What's next? 

Now, to my fellow blogathoners, congratulations. We did it! We blogged for 31 days straight. We spent time with each other. We helped encourage each other. We learned together. And we realized the value of blogging isn't really about writing. It's about building community. I can't wait to see you all again next year when Michelle organizes in 2012. 

To celebrate my success this year, my plans in the next few days are to compile a few "best of" lists: favorite posts I read of yours, more favorite posts you read of mine, and the blogs I would have liked to have spent more time at but didn't. This will help remind me that we're in this together. So be sure to come back; I generally blog 3-5 days a week and would be happy to have your company.

Meanwhile, what are your plans now that the big event has ended? Will you continue blogging daily?

9 comments:

Anjuli said...

Congrats on your completion of the blogathon!!! I was so happy to get 'reintroduced' to your blog once again...and can't wait to read more of what you blog in the days ahead.

Totally agree about the 'theme' idea and think my theme was a bit too 'broad'- will definitely have to work on narrowing before blogathon 2011 :)

I like your idea of lists of blog 'favorite blog posts' you have read and lists of 'favorite blog posts you have written' etc etc. Lists are always good.

I'm looking forward to reading more of what you blog in the days ahead!!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Anjuli. I've enjoyed your visits and visits to your blog as well. This is always a fun way to reconnect. I'm hoping to compile one of Michelle's 101 posts as well, but that's going to take some time. I think I'll do it to celebrate my 500th post, which is coming up in less than 20 days. That'll be an all-day event, I think. But I really liked how Michelle handled hers, and given a few book projects ahead, this could be a good way to find more themes or connecting threads. See you soon!

Julia Munroe Martin said...

I think picking a theme makes a lot of sense. It's so interesting to me that my theme of "writing" (for my entire blog) is so broad that it could encompass, and has, pretty much everything! So impressed you're close to 500 posts, WOW! My plans now that blogathon are over are (as you know from reading the post) to focus more on fiction and probably blog 3-5 times a week, as you're planning! Great blog post!

bookworm said...

My NEXT blogathon? I've barely caught my breath after this one. Now I can sleep again! I won't be waking up at 5:30 am! I won't be browsing other blogs till the wee hours! I will feel so guilty when I finally miss a day.

Congrats also on your completion of the Blogathon.
Alana
ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

Alison Law said...

Jackie, your theme idea has a lot of merit. Take it from someone who didn't have a theme for the 31 days of writing. But you're a veteran! I do plan to keep blogging daily...for as long as I can. It's good discipline. And I will be sure to visit you here for inspiration. All the best, Alison

Anonymous said...

Excellent job -- and what a great idea to write to a theme. I am now focusing on my client projects that are coming due in the next 2 weeks and getting ready for my daughter's birthday celebration. I plan to post twice a week, which should be a piece of cake after this exercise! Good luck to you!

Unknown said...

You guys are funny. After four years of doing this blogathon, and a few extras in between, I guess I know the benefits far outweigh the idea that makes you think, "Yikes! I have to blog every single day?!" It's a great exercise in developing a daily discipline, and you really get the sense that there's this "village" involved in creating your success. So you know you must reach out in order to see growth. I know you'll all be back next year. But if not, we'll meet here and at your place. We're now a part of a positive team called bloggers. ;-) Thank you for continuing to stop by.

Lisa said...

Great getting to know you better, Jackie. You're right about the theme - I found blogging on my niche topic much easier than general blogging. Cheers.

Kerry Dexter said...

Jackie,
I like the idea that sorting out your 101 bets posts (or however you decide to do it) will help you find recurring themes and book ideas. I was just listening to a podcast earlier today which suggested that setting up resource pages of past posts on themes was a way to serve readers and to bring traffic, as well.

and congrats on coming up on your 500th post -- I am a bit above 700 now, over nearly five years. so I think it is time for me to sort out those resource pages myself...