This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Monday, May 9, 2011

The Colorado River's Lava Falls and one silly moment on video


On April 18, I set off with my boyfriend's family for what would be the trip of a lifetime. On the way, I made myself sick to my stomach with worry. We were headed to the Grand Canyon for 15 days of white water rapid-filled fun on the Colorado River. Only, I was freakin' out, petrified that I'd fall into the water and drown. Doesn't sound like fun, does it?
On the entire 4.5 hour-drive from Phoenix to Marble Canyon, near the put-in spot, the place we'd begin our river raft tour, I wasn't thinking of the professional guides we'd be with, the life preservers we'd be wearing for safety, nor the fact that thousands of visitors take this same trip year after year. All I was thinking about was that my boyfriend, who was supposed to be my hero, couldn't go, and I was going to have to save myself should the need arise. I wasn't sure I could do that. I knew I'd panic. I wanted my security blanket, in this case, my boyfriend. So as the only couple in our family outing without my partner, I was feeling sunk--and my toes hadn't even touched water yet.

Whoa! I know that's a lot of anxiety--and unrealistic--for anyone, but especially for a person who thrives on turning obstacles into opportunities. But I just wasn't sure I knew how to fix this challenge. I wasn't sure I had the ability to relax and really have fun. I could only hope that it would happen. And that's why I still wanted to go. I had that hope I could overcome this inner battle. Obviously, I had something to prove to myself and knew this trip was something I needed to do. I knew my hero was really me. I just didn't know what tool I would use to find her.

I should have known it would be humor.

By Day 12, we hit the rapid of all rapids, Lave Falls. It was the one we most anticipated. It was the one we were told was the Big Kahuna. It was the one I really feared. I'd survived all the others. No one had flipped a raft. There'd been no passenger fall-ins. We'd moved past all the earlier rapids, even the ones that required scouting, with relative ease--and lots of laughs. But this one still daunted me. It was the one the guides talked about in whispers. It was the one my friends back home worried about. It was the one I thought might do me in.

And then a funny thing happened. Despite the anxiety that bubbled up in the pit of my stomach when I first heard the rapid about a 1/4 mile away...despite the fact that I could see Lava's rapids shooting up into the air, reaching out her liquid arches like fingers, ready to pull you in...when we finally stopped to get out and get close enough for the big scouting adventure, all I could see was the right way into it. As we made our way through the trails up the hill to look down below at the river and what awaited us there, I could see for myself that Lava Falls didn't look so bad. She looked no worse than the rapids we'd already been through before. And we'd made it through all of those just fine. I started to relax.

Thus, the video above. By the time this moment arrived, I'd resigned myself to the knowledge that our guides would get us through this one without incident. By this time, laughter and relaxation had taken over my days-long fear. And Lynn Etter, the videographer, decided we'd pretend to be the scouts. So join us as we relive this moment, just before we enter the throes of Lava Falls Rapid. With a rating as high as a 10, the highest rating for a rapid, a rapid that should offer all the challenge the raging waters can bring on, this one acted more like an 8, maybe a 7. Whatever she was on the ratings meter, for us, she was a lot of fun. And I definitely enjoyed riding her up, up and up--and then back down into calm waters again. Take a look and see what I mean. Then...

Tell me about a time when something scared you silly, to the point that you would have turned back if given the choice? What happened? How did you conquer that fear?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

There seems to be technical difficulties. Let me know if the video loads for you. Ummmm. It's not for me.

Cindy said...

Wonderful Jackie! Congratulations on a great trip and a great post.

Unknown said...

I hope you were able to see the video. It seems to take a while to load, I discovered. Thanks for visiting.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Video loaded for me. I loved it and have to ride the rapids vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn Etter said...

No problem with the video, Jackie. Enjoyed reliving the adventure in your blog!

Unknown said...

Thanks for shooting the videos, Lynn. They've been so much fun to watch. The BF has been watching them with me, cracking up. One can see why I do not take myself too seriously.

Alexandra said...

My heart was beating faster just at the very idea of attempting to ride rapids, but I did enjoy reading about it from the safety of my armchair!

ResultsPro said...

Great video clip of your scouting expedition at Lava Falls. Congratualtions on what looked like a very fun trip!

ResultsPro said...

Enjoyed the video clip of your scouting expedition at Lava Falls - looks like you were having lots of fun. Thanks for sharing your notes!

Anjuli said...

Amazing! I'm just glad it was you and not me :) It is great when we overcome our fears to do things which bring lasting memories. You'll always have this!

Tara said...

Whoa, Jackie, that is amazing.

mark said...

Motorcycle accident that damn near killed me and could have horribly injured my wife. It was last year. I'll never get on anything with two wheels again.

Sure wish I'd been sick that morning.

Oh, and sorry about the ear worms! (music stuck in your head)

Unknown said...

Accidents can change lives, that's for sure, Mark. Hope you'll ride again some day. Or maybe it's best not to bother. Some things aren't. Music, on the hand...