This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Favorite books for personal growth

This list represents books I've read once or twice, sometimes more. They helped me tremendously during my early mental--and physical--rides. They still do. And it's a lengthy list. Of course, it took me several years to read them and do the work that some require. But these are my favorites. I've read many, many more. But these, for me, touch on the important points of emotional, physical, spiritual, and even sexual growth. We're aiming for balance in all four areas of life.

Pick and choose what works for you. Create your own list. Add to this one. Substract from it. Let your Killer instincts--your most honest and tuned-in gut reaction--lead the way. But if you don't know where to start, here are several good bets:

A Gentle Path through the Twelve Steps (for all people in the process of recovery) by Patrick Carnes, Ph.D.

A Year by the Sea by Joan Anderson

Believe in the God Who Believes in You by Robert H. Schuller

Boundaries and Relationships by Charles L. Whitfield, M.D.

Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life by Gregg Levoy

Choices by Shad Helmstetter

Codependent No More by Melody Beattie

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson, Ph.D.

Feel the Fear And Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers, Ph.D.

Life Application Study Bible: New Living Translation

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor E. Frankl

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

The Power of Focus for Women by Fran Hewitt & Les Hewitt

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

3 comments:

Joy Logan said...

I've rad alot on this list! I enjoyed "a year by the sea" often.

Joy Logan said...

sorry READ! Spilled on my keyboard.

Unknown said...

Joy,

I remember the first time I read Joan Anderson's book. I SOOOOO wanted to go to her retreat and follow in her footsteps on the coast. Did you feel that way, too?

Thanks for visiting, by the way. I hope you'll come back.

Jackie