This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 8: Noticing nature

During my meditation walk this morning, I made it a point to pay attention. I did not want to think the thoughts in my head. I didn't want to focus on a deadline and how on earth I was going to make it. I didn't want to consider the clutter that I continue to ignore on my desk.

I just wanted to notice nature!

I wanted my walk to be peaceful this morning and knew it would be if I could shut everything else out. So that's what I did.

As I locked the front door to my house behind me, I made it my intention to walk through my neighborhood with purpose--to notice the sky, the mountains, the flowers, the Christmas decorations. I wanted to see it all. I wanted to live in the moment.


Best decision I've made in a long time!

Rather than thinking about what's bugging me, which is what we've been writing about in our journals during this creativity exercise, I wanted to enjoy my existence. Thinking about what's bugging me isn't enjoyable. It might be productive on one level, but it's definitely not enjoyable. And I've been struggling with the whole idea. I prefer to write about what fuels me, or inspires me, or what I'm thankful for at any given moment. Focusing on what's bugging me and the feelings attached to that seems to be keeping me in a buggish mood. I'm wondering if this could be more about my aging process than it is about the journal, but I'm feeling a lot of resistance. I'm paying attention to that as well, but that doesn't keep me from wanting a break from the negativity. It is the Christmas season, after all, and I've been having a terrible time tuning into the spirit of the holidays. I would go so far as to say my attitude has been a bit Scrooge-like. Ba-humbug, you know?

So I decided I needed a break and took it. I made it my intention to notice the beauty of the outdoors on my walk this morning, and that really cured what ailed me. That doesn't mean I'm now worry-free, but it did help me slip out of the negativity.

As I walked, I saw the sky and how its multi-color, early morning blend offered a layered view of blue, white and pink. Maybe there was some orange in there, too. Atop the surrounding mountains sat a hazy glow of white clouds. I would catch glimpses of that when I turned certain corners on my path.

I pushed myself up a hillside to get a closer look.

I noticed the various ways my neighbors landscape their yards and where they place their patio chairs behind their stuccoed walls. I know who uses the high top tables and who uses a chair as a plant stand. I also enjoyed seeing how the walkways were brick-lined and with what materials: red brick, flagstone, saltillo tile. 

Then there were the Christmas decorations. Unlit in the daylight, they still convey the color and character of the holidays. Christmas tree sculptures with pretend presents underneath, huge green door wreaths, strands of lights (big colored bulbs, dangling icicles, the tiny traditional kind) strung around bushes and trees or along the walls and home elevations. I also saw the trendy blow up Snow Man and Santa Clause, still filled with air.

It all put a lighter step in my walk.

By the time I arrived home, I had finally gained that holiday spirit and immediately set to work wrapping the first Christmas presents I'd bought for the year.

My walk was a good one today. I did it with purpose. And I'm pleased it shifted my attitude.


When you're noticing your attitude can use an adjustment, what kind of action do you take? Would a nature walk with intention to notice what's on your path work for you?

No comments: