This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 17: Feeling good

It's Day 17 of Quinn McDonald's writing/walking meditation project. We're well more than halfway through this exercise. If the holidays hadn't gotten in the way, I think I'd be feeling better. I must admit, though, that I indulged this holiday season. I mean I really indulged. This exercise came at a time when I was already in need of comfort, and I let myself indulge and indulge some more. If there was food to eat, goodies to grab, drinks to imbibe, I did it. I ate the whole bag of chocolate-covered popcorn. I made the Rice Krispie Treats and ate them, too. I drank the margaritas, the wine (both the red and white) and even tried the other cocktails. I ordered the meat AND the mashed potatoes. Chips? Eaten.

I took part in all the goodness. And I enjoyed all the company I got to be around as well.

But I'm starting to feel the effects of this indulgence, and that's not so good. My waistline, for one, which had been shrinking, has gotten a little bigger. I also feel more than a bit sluggish. So on my walk this morning, I knew what I had to do. I ran.

Walking alone just wasn't going to cut it. Instinctively, I knew I'd have to mix it up if I was going to relieve myself of the not-so-good feelings. When I stepped outside into the cool air this morning, a scarf around my neck, gloves on my hands, sweats everywhere else, I walked a few blocks, then ran a few blocks, walked a few, ran a few, walked, ran...until I had spent my entire hour outdoors with this back and forth activity.

And it felt good. I feel good...more energized...a bit lighter...ready to start the day. In order to reach a goal that I let slip this holiday season, I'll need to continue this walk-run pattern for a while. But I'm looking forward to having the endorphins kick in and giving me back my bounce. I know it will be worth the extra effort.

Does this resonate with you in any way? Can you remember a time that you recognized you needed to kick something up a notch in order to create the change you desired? What happened? Did it work?

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

my hubby and I were just discussing that we need to get back to the normal schedule-- and this post confirmed it!!! Thank you for a timely reminder.