This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Feed the creative mind with chair sculpture



Today, I did the equivalent of flipping the coin to decide on what I'd post. I just closed my eyes and scrolled down in my files to pick a photo, landing on the one above. It's of something I saw in Quebec City three summers ago -- the poetry chair exhibit, called an Ode to the New World, by Michel Goulet. On exhibit in front of the Via Rail Station, each one of the 40 chairs includes a poem written by a renowned poet from Quebec engraved in the seat. The exhibit was a gift to the city from Montreal for its 400th birthday in 2008.

This photo inspired me to hunt down several other chair sculptures so I could post the links for you here. What does this have to do with the BIKE? Not much. Not much at all, except that a bike has a seat, and you can sit down on it. Ha! I hope you're sitting down, so we can all enjoy a little more chair sculpture and feed the creative mind:

Echoes by Michel Goulet Another chair sculpture by Michel Goulet. This one's in Vancouver.
10 Amazing Contemporary Sculptures The first sculpture is a ball of chairs. Then more cool stuff.
Public Art in Tampa The red chairs here are part of a public art project called "Face the Jury."
Improvisation on Four Legs and a Seat A group of artists in Austin reinvent the chair as we know it.
Leda-Chair Sculpture I had no idea Salvador Dali created chairs. Look at the feet on this one!
The Art of Creation And a rocking chair made out of Doritos bags--a 17-year-old's creation.

Did you ever think furniture could be so fascinating? 

3 comments:

Van Waffle said...

I've seen some cool images of old chairs painted up to be works of art. I might do that with a couple of my old bentwood chairs. Also on the topic of chairs, I recently splurged on a new office chair to replace the antique I inherited from my grandfather. My hips have not been so happy in a long time.

Joan Lambert Bailey said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I won't be able to see my bike seat the same way ever again. ;)

Anjuli said...

How very interesting- I had never heard of chair sculptures before. wow.