This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Inspired by the labyrinth


A few years ago, I wrote a story about the spiritual side of Sedona. It was during my research that I first discovered the labyrinth. I'd never walked one before. I didn't do it that time, either. But the image stayed with me. It would not be part of this story.

Once I returned home, I immediately started searching for more information. I wanted to know what these labyrinths were all about. I wanted to walk a labyrinth. I wanted to study the design. I became somewhat obsessed. I pitched a few stories but nothing ever sold.

To do this day, I've only walked one once (See my picture above), and I only did it briefly, during an interview. It was not the meditative experience it's supposed to be.

So my quest continues. I am inspired by the idea, by the potential opportunity to connect with myself in a different way, by the whole spiritual nature of the design. And I'm fascinated that there is an industry that involves people who build them. I'll start pitching more stories about this soon, because I can't get it out of my head and probably won't until I sell a story or two.

If you've ever walked a labyrinth and would be willing to share your story of what happened during and after, I'd love to read it right here. If you've ever experienced some kind of need for a spiritual quest, I'd love to know about that as well. Post your comments below.

If you'd like to learn more about the labyrinth, I find The Labyrinth Society to be a useful start.

Maybe we'll run into each other on the path some day.

9 comments:

Ed Pilolla said...

i've had, am having a spiritual journey. i had to deal with some serious emotional issues from childhood as an adult. went through therapy but that was only the beginning of learning to trust people again. it is a maze, the cycle of violence. and we have to grope our way through. that's the image i saw as i journeyed, especially late in the journey did the image become clear. i would normally not leave a link here, but i wrote about the maze once. hope you don't mind, jackie. if interested, http://thinkingtoohard13.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/bent-is-beautiful-series-the-path-of-healing/

Ed Pilolla said...

well, i find one takes a spiritual quest when one has to. i dealt with some serious emotional issues late in life, when i felt i finally had to. a spiritual quest sounds fun, and it is, full of joy, but also full of pain. in my experience, a true spiritual journey involves changing one's self, and there can be no change without pain.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, Ed, I don't think your experience is all that uncommon. I wish it were not so. Would that we all had this spiritual journey long before we brought other people into our lives. I wonder what kind of world that would be.

Kathy Murray said...

This is fascinating! I've never walked or seen a labyrinth. Closest I came was a maze at Hampton Court Palace in England. Would love to learn more though, so I hope you do write about this.

Ed, thanks for the link. The cycle of violence is a horrible maze to be trapped in and I'm glad you made it out.

Unknown said...

Next year, 2011, World Labyrinth Day is on May 7. Maybe we could all plan to walk on on that day and report back on our blogs that evening. Just a suggestion, because I know if I don't plan something like this, I'll surely forget. I forgot it this year; it was May 1--and I was so caught up in getting set up for the Blogathon.

Babette said...

I was fascinated by the idea of labyrinths when I was young--didn't they show up in some of the myths? (I was a mythology fan) (geek) ...but I haven't considered them as an adult...you've piqued my interest, though, Jackie...trying to find some calm places in my brain is a current goal...getting harder every day...

Unknown said...

Barb,

I hear you on looking for calm. I think it's an everyday hunt, so be gentle with yourself. Focusing on what inspires me has been a great tool to do that this month. I'm getting a lot more accomplished than I would have had I not, I think. Check out the link to The Labyrinth Society I've included in this post; it'll connect you with a directory, from which you'll more than likely find a labyrinth near you. The site also explains how a labyrinth works--and, yes, they do show up in mythology. If you cannot go to a labyrinth, for whatever reason, you can print out a finger labyrinth and use that. It's the same mental process. Meditative.

Alexandra Grabbe said...

This is such a cool post, Jackie! I have never walked a labyrinth, but labyrinths have always fascinated me.

Unknown said...

Alexandra,

When you start looking into them, you see that they involve science, mythology, the metaphysical. There's just so much inside this space with only one way in and one way out. That's why a labyrinth is not the same thing as a maze. Perhaps there's one near you. Some churches, spiritual centers and resorts have them. You might want to do some research to find one in your area.