This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Is it "brave" to speak out?

People are telling me that it was brave of me to write the essay that appeared last night on Ms. Magazine's blog. I don't know if that's true. My intent was emotional release--and to save myself. In the process, though, maybe the words will save someone else. Ultimately, that's what a powerful story can do.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Jennifer Fink said...

Perhaps "brave" isn't the right word, exactly, but by speaking out and sharing your truth so publicly, you absolutely, adamantly refused to play the role of victim anymore. Instead of maintaining the silence that's essential for continued abuse, you spoke up. You shared the story. As you well know, that's a terrifying thought for those still caught in the secret. But you did not bow or bend to all those years of fear; you spoke your truth, and in the process, hopefully, inspired others to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Amazing essay, Jackie. I liked how you said it's up to adults to show kids how to say no. With this essay you did that. Bravery on your part will help others do the same.

Unknown said...

Yes, I have decided, I will let it be bravery. I will accept that I can be brave. Thank you. That's an important lesson in and of itself.

Anjuli said...

After reading the essay- I would have to say it is not only brave- but also courageous, for you to speak out!! You have pulled the curtain back and it will give others the strength to do the same!!

Anjuli said...

I tried to post a comment but it came back an error- just wanted to say that I read the essay. I would not only call this brave- but also courageous. You have stepped up and pulled back the curtain; thus empowering others to follow your example. Excellent!