This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Five favorite books

Today is the first "theme day" for this year's blogathon. The group (more than 150 bloggers, I understand) is supposed to write about "five favorite books." Since my theme for the month is about joy, today's post features five favorite books that bring me joy. In no special order, they are:

1)  Holy Bible (King James version, because I like accents, and this one lets you play around with that)

2)  Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (because I love his fun-loving, childish poetic voice)

3)  Backroads & Byways of Arizona (because I wrote it, duh)

4)  Anything written by Edgar Allan Poe, but mostly the short story, "The Fall of the House of Usher," (He's the only "mystery" writer I've ever enjoyed. His words keep me on the edge, and I love the imagery. His work brings me joy to the extent that it works my imagination--always a good thing.)

5)  The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron (just read muy blog, and you'll know why)

What are your top five?

5 comments:

Haley said...

Ah, I love Where the Sidewalk Ends. I can still recite quite a bit of "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out" from my elementary school days.

Unknown said...

Haley, that was a good one. I would read his work out loud to my kids all the time. Made me smile when my son bought the book for his kids. I hope he's reading it out loud as well.

Kerry Dexter said...

you know, I noticed this as a theme day (I do not do the blogathon but always enjoying reading about the plans, and seeing them in action) and realized that though I read all the time, favorite books are challenging to define. I'd agree with you about the KJV of the Bible, certainly. Fireside Book of Folk Song, long out of print now. for the music and the childhood memories. Speaking of Faith, by Krista Tippett. Belonging to Scotland, by Andy Hall, as much for the photos as the text. the fifth one would probably have to be a book of poetry, but a hard time deciding among Seamus Heaney, Wendell Berry, Robert Burns, and the Tain.

Unknown said...

Kerry, you always teach me about things I don't know much about. Though I do have some Irish in my genetic makeup, I wish I knew more about this part of me. I don't think I have much of a cultural center, and this makes me wonder if those of us who are somewhat of a mutt lose out, or do we just become redefined by a combination of cultures, thus creating our own culture of sorts. I'm not sure. But I'm glad you make me question this and ponder the possibilities.

Kerry Dexter said...

always glad to raise good questions, Jackie.