This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Treasure the gifts you receive


Last night, my friend Bonnie Mattick took me out to dinner to celebrate my birthday. She had a wrapped present, which she is known for, and a card to give to me.

When we reached our destination, St. Francis, before we even ordered the wine I opened the box to find this lovely necklace inside (see photo above). She had it made especially for me by an artist named Florie Amster. You'll note the bike image. It represents the work I do here at BIKE WITH JACKIE. She didn't leave out the travel part of my work. The miner and the copper chains between all those funky beads represent the state I write about--Arizona. Its history and folklore rests upon the work of the copper miners.

Bonnie told me the necklace is called a Treasure Necklace. The lady who makes them only makes one-of-a-kinds, such as this one. If you look at it literally, it's a silly mix of items. But when you look at it symbolically, it's a meaningful mix of love blessings. It's a gift that obviously comes with a lot of thought.

It's something I'll always treasure.

Is there something that was given to you--for a birthday or other special event--that you'll always treasure? What is it, and who gave it to you? Is there a story to tell about it? If so, please share it here with us, and remember to count your blessings. It's part of being your Best self.

3 comments:

Gwen Henson said...

Jackie, just a few weeks ago I visited an elderly aunt I hadn't seen in more than 10 years. She seemed pleased to see the woman I had become, and in a sweet gesture, gave me one of her rings. I knew I would treasure it for years; what I didn't know is that just three weeks after my visit, she would be gone. Each time I wear it, her gift reminds me of the final connection we shared.

Debbie Petras said...

What a perfect gift for you Jackie and how thoughtful of her. Wishing you a special day of celebrating.

Hugs to you,
Debbie

Unknown said...

Gwen, that's very touching. You'll never see that gift the same way again. It will always have more meaning. I like that.

Debbie, thank you. It was extremely thoughtful and so unexpected. I was honored, to say the least.