This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Motivation for Mondays: This job ad will do it


If you're one of the writers who saw this ad today...

I need writers that can write on a variety of subjects. These are
mainly research articles in different formats and with varied
subjects. The subjects vary and include:

home and garden
technology
children
animals
art and culture
cooking
automobile
arts and entertainment
Business
Computers
Health and fitness
science

Will train the right people. Pay varies but averages about .08$ per
word and articles range from 300 to 500 words. If interested please
email and I will have you do a test article, which you will be paid
for if its accepted.

...I hope you deleted the e-mail right away. Aside from the typos included in the ad, there are at least two other things wrong with this "opportunity": the pay (8 cents per word? Kidding, right?) and the fact that you'd have to do a "test" article first. Kidding again, right?

If this doesn't motivate you to get your work done so you don't feel like you have to resort to even considering an ad like this, I don't know what will.

In a phrase, content mills suck. And I think starving writers should unite against them.

6 comments:

Geoff Williams said...

What's scary, Jackie, is that the average is eight cents a word. So somebody's getting paid a little more -- maybe 12 cents a word -- but some of the other writers are probably getting paid less, 4 cents... Insanity.

Unknown said...

Yes, Geoff, it's insane to think that people who run these sites believe they're giving people jobs. There's a word for it, but it isn't "job."

Melanie Haiken said...

I'm glad to hear you say all this; I get really freaked out when I see these ads, as it devalues our profession so deeply. But mostly, I'm happy to find your blog! As a beginning road cyclist (I grew up mountain biking in Marin, where it started) I'm trying to learn on my own, and it feels great to find a community.

Unknown said...

Melanie,

I hope you won't be disappointed. I don't talk bike technology or terrain here, or anything like that. This blog began because I used a bike to empower myself while going through a divorce. Then, I turned what I learned into what I call B.I.K.E. Lessons. It's very much about awareness. This blog is motivational. But I do encourage bike riding, or any other activity that allows you to spend time with your thoughts to process whatever is going on in your life. I'm glad you here, no matter the reason. And I hope you return. I love mountain biking, and I had no idea it started in Marin. Thank you for sharing.

Ulrike, Dubai said...

It's an insult and simply rude. Sad thing is that a lot of newbies probably think that's the way to start out and gain experience and clips. Don't!!

Lorrie said...

Wow, what a way to not feel valued.

Besides, the content of what one writes should stand on its own merit, not quanity of words.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.