This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Giving up too much too soon

It's been like a first date that I let move in right after he paid the check. Oopsie! My marketing consultants tell me that I need to save my big reveal for much, much later.

So I'll be paring down on what I show you as I move through this rebranding process. I don't want to give up too much information too soon. I'm told it's not supposed to make sense to the "outsider," which is why you'd be confused by the phrasing at this point. The information and statements that occur in the early phases of branding are more like the discovery phase in a trial. You don't yet know the extent of what all this information means. You're still digging and gleaning and uncovering. It's all just a big pile of facts and figures, concepts and ideas. It's not supposed to make sense yet.

I hadn't realized that. In fact, I hadn't realized I'm in step 1 of a 20-step process. Oh my!

But I get it. It's just like when I'm writing a short story, or anything especially personal. I learned early on not to show this writing to anyone else too soon. They're not privy to what I know and want to tell. They'll bring their own stuff in where it doesn't belong. And then I'll get confused. That's exactly what happened in this case.

So, if there's a lesson to learn about the rebranding, or branding, process in general, it's this: don't give up too much information too soon to potential clients. Let the information materialize, gell and take its proper form.

Lesson learned.

Have you ever been in a situation where you gave up too much too soon? Did it change the way you thought or felt about something, to the detriment of your own personal growth? If so, was it hard for you to reel yourself back in? 



 

4 comments:

Julia Munroe Martin said...

This makes so much sense -- I have been in the same experience with writing projects: I'm totally geared up and excited and then I share too much about a project. Then everything grinds to a halt, usually because someone is less than enthusiastic, but sometimes just because it's too soon to share anything. It's nice for me to keep things to myself until I feel really certain of them -- so this makes perfect sense!

Unknown said...

I know, Julia. It's like, "Why didn't I think of that?! In fact, I know that already!" I have done this with fiction before. Others can read too much into something, or bring a perspective that has no baring on the project. And when you're first starting out, you're not yet on solid footing, the foundation's a little off. So you do have to be cautious and keep that in mind.

But it's been fun sharing the process. I'll just have to do it differently, with less detail about my stuff and more about how it works. I think it's fascinating no matter. And there are always lessons to learn, regardless. I'm not disappointed. I think the questions I received still give me pause for more thought. What I don't want is to have happen what happened to you, the halting. I have had that happen with writing projects before as well, and that's awful. It takes a lot of time before you can go back to something like that, and sometimes you never do. So I get what my peeps are telling me as well.

Glad you get it, too.

Anjuli said...

I am always revealing way too much too soon !

Unknown said...

The process takes such a long time to fine-tune. My challenge has been to combine writing with speaking and books. My topics are travel, self-development and lifestyle. They work together. I just hadn't been able to figure out how to articulate it succinctly. These gals are helping me do that. I do talk about and write about authentic life adventures--on many levels--and they tuned in on that. We meet again soon for more brainstorming. It's all be so very enlightening.