This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Speaking of spirituality

Check out my story about the spiritual side of Sedona in the May issue of Arizona Highways. Remember I'd mentioned I went there last May looking for those mysterious vortexes, to find out what exactly they are and what exactly they do.

I spent a lot of time with a guy who goes by the name of Mr. Sedona. Nice guy. I'd read his book, What is a Vortex? And I wanted to know more. He was kind enough to show me places I never even dreamed about. The wonderful thing about Arizona is that the mountains that you see have many layers. The outside layers, the ones you see from the side of a road or from a distance, make lovely landscapes. But inside those canyon walls awaits mystery, suspense and amazing beauty. It reminds me of abundant opportunity...and also of the famous phrase Forest Gump recites, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." It's true. Inside those canyon walls, you never know what you'll see. If you go in the early morning hours, you'll view something different than if you visit at dusk. If you travel there with friends who've been before, the trip will be quite differnt than one you might take with novice Sedona tourists. I'll be going back for another visit soon and am already wondering what my experience will bring me this time. Will I hear sounds from the couple who came to start a drum circle meeting? They were on their way in as I was leaving last time. I would have liked to have sat around and listened. Perhaps they would have loaned me a drum, and I could have found a comfortable beat to tap into while sitting on the red sandstone. Anything could happen.

This next trip I take there will net stories for a chapter in my travel guide book. It's part of my plan to live the life I want, and that includes writing, travel, speaking.

Are you living the life you want?

Today, start thinking about that. Start thinking about the way you organize your time, the work that you do, and the people you surround yourself with on a regular basis.

Are you living the life you want?

If not, what steps can you take today to ensure yourself the life that you deserve?

It took me more than 40 years to understand I had the power to make these choices and not just fall into a pattern of what I thought others expected of me. Not only that, but it took me a long time to recognize I had to be willing to accept the power. It's one thing to understand free will. It's quite another to know what it can do for you and to act on it in a positive way.

But now I know it doesn't matter how long it took me to get here. It's good that I am.

You don't have to walk on eggshells just because someone else in your life is unhappy. You don't have to accept the judgements that others might make of you. You don't have to buy into anyone else's expectations of what you should do, be or say. When you do that, you minimize the personal power you have to be your true self.

Today, take a stand.

Begin the steps today that will lead you to your very own happiness. If you don't know what that is exactly, you first may need to determine the definition for yourself. It's okay. This isn't a one-day-only gig. No need to worry that you don't have the answers yet. None of us do. They will arrive when you're ready to accept them. You'll know you've found a good path when the momentum carries you forward. You'll feel the positive energy.

Getting to know who you are at your core--getting in touch with your mental BIKE--is about trusting yourself. Maybe for the very first time in your life. It's about becoming self-aware. The best life you can life for yourself is a conscious one. It means you take responsibility for who you are, what you do, and where you go.

That involves life-long learning, and your answers will change with your growth. That's a good thing. Be open to the possibilities. Let your own spirituality speak for itself. That means trust your gut.

To allow growth to occur, however, you do need to take the steps. There is no forward movement if you don't take the steps.

So here's an exercise for you:

Try writing down on a piece of paper, in a notebook, or in your journal if you have one five things that have crossed your mind in the last year that you thought you might like to do. You're simply experimenting with ideas. They can be outrageously unlikely. They can be superficial. They can be anything you think they are. But don't judge them enough that you discount them. The more outrageous the better. This is an exercise about looking at the possibilities that await you. If you have more than five ideas, write them down. A possibility, by its own definition, is limitless.

Do this during your lunch hour, after dinner, or before you go to bed tonight, and then enjoy the rest of your week!

All my best,
The BIKE Lady

No comments: