This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Friday, August 8, 2008

New opportunities--what are you waiting for?

A friend called me last week to see if I could hang out with her. We made plans to attend a lecture in Scottsdale. Something came up, and I couldn't go. She went anyway, enjoyed it, and called me a few days later to make new plans. We arranged to meet at a bookstore and walk over to this resort hotel and listen to the bagpipe player at sunset--it happens to be a nightly event at this Phoenix resort. Well, that plan fell through also, when a third party--her ride--opted out. She didn't want to do something new and unfamiliar. So my friend and I, we made yet another plan. Tonight, she'll go with me to hear a live band that I've been meaning to write about on my travel blog.

I haven't heard from her yet, so I assume the plan's still on.

Over the course of these past few days, and also since I started writing my travel blog, I've noticed something. There are a ton of things to do in Phoenix, and many of them cost little to nothing. My travel blog is giving me the opportunity to explore them and so much more. But you don't have to have a travel blog to explore your own surroundings.

That's a ton of ways to spend your free time, or your leisure time, or whatever you want to call it. But if you're like my friend's friend, I want to know why are you sitting at home? If fear is keeping you from exploring new things to do or see, can you try just once to push past that fear?

Maybe look into buying a membership at the Phoenix Art Museum. It costs less than $50 for the entire year. But if you can't afford that, they do offer a free day at the museum every week. It's a very safe and fun environment, and since there's a museum in every big city that I'm aware of, I'm sure you'll find one near you.

If you aren't sitting at home but know someone who is, could you make it your next goal to ask that person to go with you on an outing? It doesn't cost anything to go for a walk around the neighborhood with a friend. It costs very little to share a picnic lunch somewhere. And the opportunity to ride your bike, hike or work out together is immeasurable--especially if one of you needs that extra push.

The opportunities to find your Best self and to expand your Inner stength to do something out of the ordinary are out there. What are you waiting for?

All my best,
Jackie

No comments: