This blog introduces you to my special brand of BIKE. I show you how to find your Best self, access your Inner strength, tune in to your Killer instincts, and use your Expressive voice. It's inspiring, spiritual, quirky, and it's all in your head. It's about ATTITUDE, not exercise, though that might be a side benefit.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

More on pissing people off--the audio interview with David Newman

Last Monday, I wrote a popular post that discussed a keynote presentation by marketing expert David Newman. I told you I was intrigued by the question he asked: Who are you pissing off?

Because I wanted to know more, David (DO IT! MARKETING) agreed to answer a few questions about this concept for me. In that follow-up phone interview, he explains further what he meant by that striking statement. Afterward, David sent me the link to the interview, and I was going to post it here on Friday. But because of some technical difficulties on my part, friend Suzanne Holman came to my rescue by posting it on her Audio Acrobat site and sent me that link which I was able to use instead.

In the audio, David explains that the idea behind "pissing people off" isn't a license to behave badly. Rather, it's about eliminating arrogance and complacency in the business world. He references two of his own marketing heroes, Guy Kawasaki and Seth Godin, as two fine examples of people who've written about or subscribe to this theory.

He suggests taking the following self-test to determine whether or not you're differentiating yourself to the point of pissing people off. He says to ask yourself these three questions about the product or service you're selling:
  • It is just not done in your industry?
  • Are you afraid of doing it?
  • Would your competitors be afraid to copy it?
 If you answer "Yes" to each, then you could have a big enough idea and could create your own movement--a movement that will scare some people to death, and they won't want to follow you. But others will. Others, the people who "get" you, will want to pay you for the privilege of taking them there--because they couldn't get there on their own. They wouldn't know how. So after you listen to this audio, here's my next question:

Have you started your movement yet? If not, what's holding you back? Let's discuss.

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

my husband and I always seem to be the ones pioneering something or another- so I guess we have miffed quite a few people along the way :)...however, we are so busy doing what we are doing, we don't notice. (and as you clarified- this doesn't mean we are rude and are behaving unkindly in any way-- it just means we are busy doing what we need to get done)-- I think I subscribe to this line of thinking!

BIKE LADY said...

Yeah, I guess I do as well, without having realized that I was starting a movement, in a manner of speaking. A recent case occurred when I was willing to call a project as I saw it, when no one else would take the stand. It's being willing to say or do what might sound uncomfortable if it means improvement. But you can do it because you're passionate enough about your belief, and you know you can see it through. Not everyone can do that, so that's why I think David Newman's thoughts have great merit worth sharing--and it's why I wanted to follow up with him on this. I hope you listened to the audio. He's long-winded in parts, as he admits, but he makes some really good points.